What are the Best Car Insurance Rates in Austin Texas?
How much is car insurance coverage in Austin, TX? Austin’s relatively high accident rate, uninsured drivers, congested roadways and high rate of insurance claims make insurance rates in Austin higher than the national and state average. The average cost of car insurance in Austin is $1,272 per year for men and $1,333 for women. This is much higher than the Texas average of $905. So where can you find the best car insurance rates in Austin? Compare quotes now.
Exact premiums will vary depending on multiple factors including: you zip code, your driving record and the number of points on your driver’s license, age, gender, your car, policy limits, coverage (liability or comprehensive), and the total number of claims you filed in the past 5 years.
What Are the most stolen cars in Texas?
There are many cars, trucks and other vehicles stolen on a regular basis. In cities like Austin and Houston, there are a greater number of cars, trucks and other vehicles stolen than in suburban and rural areas but the car thieves are just about everywhere. Utilizing general automobile security tips such as removing your keys from the ignition or avoiding parking in secluded areas is the foremost means to protect your car, SUV or truck. The following are listings of the cars and vehicles most stolen in Texas for various years. If your car is listed below, be sure to take excess safeguards when leaving your car unattended.
This is our list of the top 10 most stolen cars in Texas.
- Ford Pickup (Full Size 2006)
- Chevy Pickup (Full Size 2004)
- Dodge Pickup (Full Size 2004)
- Honda Accord (1997)
- GMC Pickup (Full Size 2015)
- Honda Civic (2000)
- Chevy Tahoe (2004)
- Toyota Camry (2014)
- Nissan Altima (2012)
- Chevy Impala (2007)
Top 5 Most Popular Cars in Texas
Texas is a big place. It’s also the second biggest state in the U.S., in both population (just behind California) and area (just behind Alaska). So having a vehicle that is up to the challenge of the state’s sheer size and variety is essential to living and working in Texas. That’s why we’ve come up with this list of the top five used cars for Texas..
- Ford F150 and Dodge Ram 1500 (Tied for 1st)
- Chevy Silverado 1500
- Chevy Volt
- Toyota Camry
What Are the Top 5 Car Insurance Companies in Austin?
This is our list of the top 10 most popular car insurance companies in Austin.
- State Farm Insurance
- Progressive Insurance
- Farmers Insurance
- Allstate Insurance
- Home State County Mutual
Other popular Austin, TX car insurance companies include: Travelers, Geico, Safeco, MetLife, Liberty Mutual, American Family, Kemper, 21st Century Insurance, Hartford, Texas Farm Bureau, Infinity, Amica Mutual, Mercury, Erie, and Allied Group.
What can impact car insurance rates in Austin?
Major factors that can impact insurance rates are:
- High Accident Rates – Austin ranked 166th out of the 200 cities. Drivers in Austin are involved in crashes every 7.3 years, that’s 37.1 percent higher than the national average. The high frequency of car accidents is helping to raise the cost of car insurance in Austin.
- Weather – Austin weather is humid subtropical with hot and humid summers and mild winters with cold nights. Austin is fairly dry, but it can receive a lot of rain in April and September, creating slick roads and long commutes. It’s not unusual for thunderstorms to produce hail, sometimes damaging. On a more positive note, it almost never freezes or snows here.
- Road Conditions – Washington, DC non-profit transportation research group TRIP reports that Austin drivers waste as much as $706 a year on fuel, time, and car repairs due to the high number of potholes, ruts, and rough street conditions. According to Trip, 28% of the major roads here are in poor condition and in need of immediate repair and another 62% of local roads are rated mediocre.
- Traffic Congestion – According to TomTom’s annual traffic index report, Austin is ranked as having the 21st worst traffic congestion in the United States. The average commuter spends an extra 30 minutes per hour and 115 hours a year stuck in traffic on peak hour commutes lasting 60 minutes.
- Moving Violations – Like speeding tickets, accidents, failure to yield, or drunk driving can give you a bad driving record and make you a high risk driver.
SR-22 DWI Insurance
If you’ve been convicted of a DWI and need to obtain an SR-22 form, get a quote and compare rates from top insurance companies that specialize in Austin DWI insurance.
Legal Minimum Auto Insurance Requirements
Texas has a minimum liability coverage requirement known as the 30/60/25 rule. This means each policy must include at least:
- Individual Bodily Injury Liability(BI): $30,000.
The maximum your insurance company will pay for an individual person injured in a car accident.
- Total Bodily Injury Liability: $60,000.
The most your insurance carrier will pay in total for every person injured in a car accident.
- Property Damage Liability(PD): $25,000.
The total amount your insurer will pay for property damage caused by a car accident.
10 Ways to Save With Car Insurance Discounts and how to find the best car insurance rates in Austin.
Looking to lower your rates by finding the best car insurance rates in Austin, TX? Car insurance discounts are a great way to lower your rates. These are some of the many discounts available depending on your insurance carrier. Find out which discounts you may qualify for by getting a free quote.
- Early Shopping Discount apply if you have prior insurance and shop early.
- Pay in full and receive significant savings.
- Paperless Discount – when you receive your documents electronically.
- Continuous Insurance Discount – applies when you have been insured more than 6 months.
- Backdraft Discount – when you make monthly payments automatically by EFT.
- Multi-car Discount – when you have more than 1 car on the policy.
- Multi-policy Discount – when you have more than one policy with the same company.
- Homeowner Discount – must show proof of homeownership.
- Good Student Discount – apply if your child (under the age of 23) is in school full time with a B or better GPA.
- Education Discount – based on your level of education.
- Accident Free Discount – when you are claim free for 3-5 years.
- Compare rates with a local agent, Austin Insurance Group and find the best car insurance rates in Austin.